3D Design Software Lifehacks: Basic 3D Printing Features Every Designer Should Know About (Part 2)

For all who are new to 3D Printing, Rapid Prototyping and Additive Fabrication in general
Community rules
1. Be kind and courteous
We're all in this together to create a welcoming environment. Let's treat everyone with respect. Healthy debates are natural, but kindness is required.

2. No hate speech or bullying
Make sure everyone feels safe. Bullying of any kind isn't allowed, and degrading comments about things such as race, religion, culture, sexual orientation, gender or identity will not be tolerated.

3. Only 3D printers advertised.
Only 3D printers or directly related product may be advertised. If you post anything else it will be moderated and you will be banned.

4. Replying to posts
If you reply to a post, make sure your reply is connected with the main topic, do NOT take a topic off track.

5. All post are moderated
Every post on here is moderated - always. Don't bother joining unless you have works to share or problems to inquiry about 3D printers. That is all that will be allowed on this group.
AnetLau

Subdivide (i.e. “Smoothing”)

With the bush of a button, subdivide tools automatically smoothen models by multiplying the number of squares, triangles, and/or vertices a design has.

When building or sculpting a 3D design, it’s best to start with simple shapes. Specifically, shapes that contain as few vertices, polygons, or squares as possible. The more of these you add, the harder your model becomes to work with. When you start out, don’t add extra vertices just to make your model look smooth. Instead, start with a “blocky” model, and smooth it out during its final stage by using subdivide tools.

In Blender, there is a sophisticated “Subdivision Surface Modifier” you can use to smooth out a rough model. To use the Subdivision Surface modifier:

• 1. Create or Import your model

• 2. Right click on it

• 3. Click on the “Modifier” wrench in the bottom right menu.

• 4. Click “Subdivision surface” on the “Modifier” drop down menu. This creates a subdivided preview of how your model looks “smoothed out.”

• 5. In “Object Mode,” click “Apply.”

Mirror, mirror on the wall… can I really make a whole model from just one half? YES.

Symmetry

Nearly all sculpting software, from Meshmixer to Blender to 123D Sculpt, contains symmetry features. These are usually in the form of a button on the main menu.

In Blender, the most commonly used one is the “Mirror” modifier button (located in the “Modifier” drop down menu.)

Meshmixer is another free software to consider, since it contains four main symmetry options: one under the “Select” button, one under the Sculpt Button, and one in the Sculpt button’s paint mode (i.e. Vertice Paint.) This means that you can select surfaces symmetrically (i.e. selecting both nostrils at the same time), and sculpt symmetrically (i.e. if smoothen one nostril, you also smoothen the other. Live!) The third symmetry option is called “Mirror,” and it “mirrors” one side of your existing mesh to match the other side. For more on Meshmixer, go see our previous Tutorial Thursday feature.

On 123D Sculpt, the symmetry button is located on the top menu, five buttons from the left. It looks like a sideways M.

3D sculpting can be a way to “nudge,” drag, and pull your model into how you want it to look…

Created by Roxy in i.materialise.com