ET4+, Pro and ET5 Leveling Guide

Tips & Tricks to tweak your printers, as well as technical help. Topics MUST contain the type of printer you are addressing!
Community rules
1. Be kind and courteous
We're all in this together to create a welcoming environment. Let's treat everyone with respect. Healthy debates are natural, but kindness is required.

2. No hate speech or bullying
Make sure everyone feels safe. Bullying of any kind isn't allowed, and degrading comments about things such as race, religion, culture, sexual orientation, gender or identity will not be tolerated.

3. Only 3D printers advertised.
Only 3D printers or directly related product may be advertised. If you post anything else it will be moderated and you will be banned.

4. Replying to posts
If you reply to a post, make sure your reply is connected with the main topic, do NOT take a topic off track.

5. All post are moderated
Every post on here is moderated - always. Don't bother joining unless you have works to share or problems to inquiry about 3D printers. That is all that will be allowed on this group.
AnetLau

This tutorial is divided into three parts: the checking of leveling sensor, manual leveling and auto leveling.

The first part, the checking of leveling sensor is for those who finish the leveling but still have issues with it, like the extruder keeping hitting the bed when homing, the bed still unleveled after you do the leveling or something like that.

The latter two parts are a normal process explanation of leveling. Manual leveling is for the leveling of the build plate and auto leveling is for the leveling of the nozzle on the extruder. The two parts are what all users who just start using the printer need to do. We didn’t add photos for the two steps because they have been included in our ET4 pro assembly guide. Users can have combined study from them both.

Now the new ET4, ET4 pro and ET5 share the same leveling system. So this tutorial is applicable to all the three models.

Tools you’ll need:

Except for these, you need to prepare an A4 paper, too.

I. Preparations before Leveling

Step 1: Check if the sensor works

Use a screwdriver to lightly touch the sensor to see if the lamp on the top of the sensor glows once you do so. If it works, then there’s nothing wrong with the sensor itself.

Step 2: Check the Height of the Sensor

A successful leveling does not only depend on whether the sensor itself can run normally, but on its distance of the sensor to the platform.

How to check the height? Click [Setting] - [Manual] - [Z] - [-] to let the extruder get closer to the bed until the nozzle almost touches the A4 paper we place between them.

For fast moving we can select the 10mm gear at the beginning and turn to another two gears for avoiding it bumps into the platform when it is about to touch it.

Then we put a 4mm Allen wrench between the platform and the sensor to see if their distance is about the diameter of the wrench.

If not, we should adjust the sensor up and down to let the distance exactly conform to the diameter of the wrench.

Such adjustment is easy. You just need to use the 1.5mm wrench to loosen the screw on the left side of the extruder.

At the meantime, we again use the 4mm wrench to have a measurement until the distance meets our demand.

The sign of the successful distance adjustment is the sensor lamp turns red. But the diameter of 4mm wrench is just for reference. You can flexibly change the sensor’s height around this reference distance in order to make sure the final result is that the lamp keeps red when the extruder is in close proximity to the build plate.

Step 3: Check the Sensitivity of the Sensor

First, we home the printer.

When it completes the homing process (the time that the extruder stops above the platform’s center point), we start to make the Z-axis drop to let it touch the platform.

For we have tested whether the sensor can sense normally before, so now, after the nozzle touches the platform, the sensor should be glowing.

Then we take out a slot screwdriver to operate on the top of the sensor - anticlockwise twist the screw to black out the lamp and clockwise it to turn up the light.

If the sensor glows or blacks out strictly according to the alteration of your finger acts, then the sensor is of good sensitivity.

II. Manual Leveling

Step 1: Put an A4 paper on the build plate. Click [Prepare – Leveling] and double-click [Manual] then select the point [1 2 3 4] for leveling and the nozzle would move above the point that selected.

Step 2: Observe the distance between the build plate and nozzle. For any one of the 4 points that has too far or close distance to the nozzle, we should turn the build plate bottom leveling screws or click [-][+] (a function to adjust the distance between the nozzle and the bed) on the interface. How to know our leveling is successful? Move the paper to check if there’s slight friction against the nozzle.

Step 3: After the two steps complete, we click [OK] to store the data and the extruder will go to the center point. The center point is the last one we need to level. Equally, we click [-][+] if the distance is too far or close and move the paper to check the friction.

If needed, step 1,2,3 should be repeated until final leveling is done.

When all five points are leveled well, we click [OK] again to finish the manual leveling

III. Auto Leveling

Click on [Level - Auto - OK]. It may take a couple of minutes because it has to measure 25 points to ensure the leveling precision is high enough.

After the extruder stops moving, the leveling completes. We click [Ok] and check the 9 parameters on the screen. If the error range from the maximum to minimum value falls within ±0.5, the leveling is of success. If not, click [+] or [-] to do the compensation, just like what we do when manually leveling.

Finally, we click [OK] again to save the data.

TomasLA

i didnt want to move that sensor it was a little lower than in the picture... but i can confirm its an optional step... leveling my new AT4 pro was very very tricky... this is my fifth printer... my second Anete... my old A8 its built like a tank and its way easier to level... but this at4 definitely prints alot better... im very happy.... its worth the time figuring how to level properly .... the most importan part IMO is to figure out and keep record on the position of the sensor screw... even 1mm of turn makes alot of diference----
AnetLau

TomasLA wrote:
2020-07-02 23:28
i didnt want to move that sensor it was a little lower than in the picture... but i can confirm its an optional step... leveling my new AT4 pro was very very tricky... this is my fifth printer... my second Anete... my old A8 its built like a tank and its way easier to level... but this at4 definitely prints alot better... im very happy.... its worth the time figuring how to level properly .... the most importan part IMO is to figure out and keep record on the position of the sensor screw... even 1mm of turn makes alot of diference----
We made leveling tutorial videos for ET4 and ET4 Pro recently, which will be available soon and more convenient to leveling for you. Please wait for some time.