Anet A8 y axis overheat

Tips & Tricks to tweak your printers, as well as technical help. Topics MUST contain the type of printer you are addressing!
Community rules
1. Be kind and courteous
We're all in this together to create a welcoming environment. Let's treat everyone with respect. Healthy debates are natural, but kindness is required.

2. No hate speech or bullying
Make sure everyone feels safe. Bullying of any kind isn't allowed, and degrading comments about things such as race, religion, culture, sexual orientation, gender or identity will not be tolerated.

3. Only 3D printers advertised.
Only 3D printers or directly related product may be advertised. If you post anything else it will be moderated and you will be banned.

4. Replying to posts
If you reply to a post, make sure your reply is connected with the main topic, do NOT take a topic off track.

5. All post are moderated
Every post on here is moderated - always. Don't bother joining unless you have works to share or problems to inquiry about 3D printers. That is all that will be allowed on this group.
ĐứcNguyễn

I just build anet a8. Everything is fine, except y axis motor is very hot, extreme hot, it can burn your finger. Another motor just warm. I do research on google but nothing i cant find :( plz help fix this.
Sorry my bad english

TTx380

Is the carriage of the Y-Axis free moveable?
Check the Vref from the Stepperdriver, it should be nearly the same as on the Driver from the x-Axis
ĐứcNguyễn

TTx380 wrote: 2020-11-24 12:32 Is the carriage of the Y-Axis free moveable?
Check the Vref from the Stepperdriver, it should be nearly the same as on the Driver from the x-Axis
Thank for your reply. But i dont know how to check it. :(
TTx380

Sorry for the late reply, hasn't been in the forum for a long time.
There is a small potentiometer on the stepper driver, the screw in the middle is the + pole. The housing of the card reader is the - pole.
To measure, you need a multimeter and fine measuring tips.
The Vref is then adjusted with the screw in the middle.
TDHofstetter

I'm intrigued by this answer. TTx380, could you show all of us where this potentiometer is, and where you monitor the VRef on the board while you tweak it?

This is the stock board for an A8:

ĐứcNguyễn, try this:

1. Turn on the power but don't do anything else. Feel the Y axis stepper motor and see if it gets hot. If it does, STOP; you have a bad control board and you'll need to replace it. Let us know, please.

2. If it doesn't get hot without moving, disconnect the Y axis belt and manually slide the table back and forth. It should move VERY easily. If it doesn't, figure out why and fix that. Let us know.

3. If it does move easily, then while the belt is still off, move the stepper motor back and forth electrically with the control panel. It should not be possible for you to work that motor hard enough to get hot by moving it like that. Let us know.

If the motor gets hot in (3)... then remove one of the Z axis steppers and install it where the Y axis motor normally is, then install the Y axis motor where you took the Z axis motor from. I suggest that you use the right-side Z axis stepper motor to do this. Then reconnect the belt and exercise the machine again and watch to see which motor gets hot. If the motor which NOW moves the Y axis gets hot, then the control board is bad and needs to be replaced. If the original Y axis motor, which now works for the Z axis, gets hot, then the motor is bad and needs to be replaced.
abdel31

Hi, a few days ago I had the same problem and I fix it by my self, I first thought the problem may be the driver, but I was wrong, the problem was the Vref, I check the datasheet of the stock board (V1.7) and discover that there are 2 resistors responsible for the regulation of the Vref=0.65V of the (X Y and E) drivers, for my case (Y driver) were (R15(01D)=100Kohm and R16(27E)=1.87Mohm):

The problem was with the R16 it should be ((18C)=15Kohm instead of (27E)) like for the X and E drivers:

That wrong resistance increase the Vref to 1V which was too high for the driver and that cause the overheating of both of the driver and the stepper motor.

I fixed that by changing the resistance R16 with the right value, and that solve the overheating problem and the Vref become 0.65 as it should be:
TDHofstetter

Excellent! Where did you find this datasheet? I'd like to have one.